Thursday, December 11, 2008

As I divulged in the previous entry, I am having a hard time figuring out how much of myself and my specific experiences I want to include in this project. It might make it less accessible if there is no personal narrative to which an audience member can relate, considering the already extremely abstract nature of what I am trying to do. However, I really don't want to impose myself too much on the audience, I would like them to be able to have a perspective that isn't automatically triangulated through my lens. Since it is likely that the majority of the audience members will know me personally, I don't want their knowledge of me or their feelings toward me totally color what I am presenting to them.

One way I have thought about dealing with this is by making the written portion of my project fictionalized. The stories will still be based on my experiences, but they won't be told from a first person perspective. Even if I tell the story exactly as I would were I telling it from a first person perspective, the mere fact of having a third person narrator gives me some necessary distance from the story, as well as the audience. I think that will help in differentiating the space and purpose of the writing with the space and purpose of the blogging that I am doing. A little booklet, which is what I hope to make, is very different from a blog, and warrants a different approach to its subject matter. If the anecdotes I relate become stories, that further differentiates their purpose in relation to the blog, because this space is about factual documentation of my process and perhaps my experiences, whereas that space can be more reflective and leaves the door open for both commentary and ambiguity.

No comments: